.Avoid Dementia, Enjoy a Vegan Diet for Brain Health
A vegan diet for brain health might be the most intelligent choice you make to avoid dementia. Further, it offers even more health benefits for our entire body.
As much as we care about our physical fitness, we seem to ignore our mental health too often. However, our body is nothing without our mind. We need to care for our brain and body equally.
Our brain mechanism is the most complicated network of neurons yet it is the most powerful. However, like every other organ and system of our body, our brain too, requires a healthy diet. A diet which consists of a balanced nutrition.
A vegan diet for brain health has been up for debate for many years and the recent studies conducted by the nutrients have shown that a nutrient enriched vegan diet is ideal for brain health, cognition improvement and focus. Many recommend a vegan diet to avoid dementia and other brain disorders.
Stress, Stress, and More Stress
In today’s world, stress often overtakes us. Each time we stress, our body releases inflammatory chemicals called cytokines as part of the defense mechanism. Our immune system fights back against stress by releasing the chemicals, which, where helps our bodies to heal quickly from injuries and illnesses, works on the brain in a rather opposite way. The inflammation can prompt multiple problems such as hypertension, anxiety, multiple sclerosis, and hormone imbalances. While it is not quite in our hands to remain away from stress, we can surely switch to a diet that can help us in promoting brain health.
To follow a vegan diet for brain health,
prior to adding the brain foods,
it is essential to know what to avoid.
Hypertension and blood clotting are caused by foods that are high in unhealthy, saturated fats. These foods raise the bad cholesterol levels in the blood often resulting in strokes, heart disease, and heart attacks. Foods that contain high amounts of simple carbohydrates are not ideal for liver functioning and digestion. These foods can cause fatigue, dizziness, and lethargy. All such foods limit brain functioning and affect brain health in the long run.
To gain better mental health, cognition improvement, and to avoid mental pressure and disorders, consider a change in your lifestyle. Switch to a healthy diet, which serves both your brain and body. The vegan diet that we are going to share is based on three types of foods.
Forgetfulness can be a major drawback in all aspects of life, whether you work in an office, running your business, teaching at a school or just a homemaker, you need to keep track of everything. Below are the foods that should always remain an integral part of our vegan diet if we want our memories to remain sharp.
- Since the ancient times, almonds have been considered to improve memory. The recent studies have discovered that the Vitamin B6 and Zinc present in the almonds are actually good for improving memory, particularly due to the fact that zinc is an active antioxidant which eliminates free radicals in the bloodstream which could weaken and break brain cells. The almonds contain lean proteins which also help in better growth of cells and the body as a whole. The old tradition of soaking almonds overnight and eating them in the morning turns out to be beneficial according to the findings of the nutritionists.
EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- There has been a lot of emphasis on plant oils in a vegan diet, and the extra virgin olive oil is not only a healthy option for the body but the brain also. The powerful antioxidant in the olive oil called polyphenol boosts the memory and enhance the learning power. However, it is also important to use the extra virgin olive oil properly. Due to its active ingredients, cooking with it should be avoided. Instead, use it in the raw form, as a salad dressing or in your noodles. Also, drizzle it on top of your grilled vegetables for a lovely, aromatic taste.
- The heavenly aroma of coconut oil in itself is a huge temptation, but the benefits of this delicious oil are countless. Cooking food in coconut oil improves your mental health but it has proven abilities against brain cell decay due to aging or any other external factor. The decay process might result in memory loss and to avoid such a consequence, using coconut oil can save you from a lot of trouble. The best thing is, coconut oil improves mental abilities and memory if used regularly.
BRAIN HEALTH FOODS
These foods are best for improving brain health and brain functions.
- We all love walnuts and the omega three fatty acids present in them are a healthy supplement for the body and mind. The antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins present in the walnuts enhance mental alertness and cognition. Eating a few walnuts daily can help in the improvement and sustainability of the mental health. The Walnut Smoothies taste good and they pave the road to a better mental health.
- Spices ignite the flavors of our meals. Turmeric, with its iconic color and aroma, provides a very beneficial ingredient for healing injuries, illnesses, disorders and skin problems. Additionally, the spice offers a lot for the brain as well. Turmeric, with its inflammatory and antioxidant properties, improves oxygen intake of the brain. This keeps you mentally alert and enhances your ability to process information. To make it a part of your healthy vegan diet for the brain, add this spice into authentic south Indian or continental vegan cuisines.
GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES
- Green leafy vegetables not only refresh our senses and our eyes but also have substantial benefits for our brain health. People with neurodegenerative disorders, given kale, spinach, lettuce and Swiss chard for several years, showed visible improvements in their mental health. We also recommend making these green leafy vegetables a part of the vegan diet for better mental health and to avoid dementia and other mental disorders for the rest of your life.
These foods keep the mental disorders from affecting the brain while enhancing the brain abilities and maintaining mental health.
- Herbs are powerhouses if used in the proper way. Rosemary oil has been known for its benefits. Additionally, the herb itself has a lot of potential uses for keeping the brain safe from neurodegenerative disorders. Carnosic acid, an agent in rosemary fights against the neurodegeneration of the brain. To use rosemary in a vegan diet for the brain, you can sprinkle fresh rosemary leaves on your vegetables, in your herb and lemon rice and on your salads.
BLUEBERRIES and Other berries
- Berries are full of antioxidants; enjoy a variety throughout your week. However blueberries, specifically, have multiple benefits for the brain. Blueberries contain Vitamin C, K and a lot of fiber. The gallic acid, present in the blueberries protects the brain from neurodegenerative disorders and negative effects of the stress. Make them an essential part of our vegan diet for a healthy brain; blueberry smoothies lighten up your days every morning.
- Full of nutrients and good fats, avocados have numerous health benefits. Avocados assist in the prevention of strokes. With Vitamin K and Folate, avocados prevent against blood clotting in the brain. Aldo, avocados help in improving cognition, memory loss and concentration. Avocados are not only rich in texture, they are also rich in vitamin B and C. These vitamins keep the blood flow normal and prevent hypertension.
The vegan diet for brain health provides the best complete panel of nutrients for your entire health with one exception, vitamin B12. Found mostly in animal based foods, B12 is an essential vitamin for stress, immune system, and brain health. Physicians consider it essential in the effort to avoid dementia.
Previous generations washed food less completely so acquired B12 more easily. Nutritional Yeast provides one vegan source of B12. Most of us need to supplement our vitamin B12 to ensure we receive an adequate amount.
More information on a vegan diet for brain health and to avoid dementia
Avoid dementia, adopt a vegan diet for brain health!
A plant based diet enjoyed with a variety of fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts, encourages complete health, including our brain. For a complete picture of the health benefits, we’ll explore how a vegan diet affects your health. Additionally, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, and better circulation mark just the beginning of our health journey.
Subscribe to our site and stop back frequently. We’ll be adding information and new recipes each week!