A Caveat and Affiliates
First off, a little caveat: within my articles you will find affiliate links, meaning if you buy them, I get a small commission. Your cost is not affected. In addition, I am an Amazon Associate and I earn from qualifying purchases on Amazon.
And yes, if I say that I recommend a product here, it means I truly believe it is a good product. I refuse to recommend any product that I have not researched and believe to be a good value.
Even better, I provide you with a very clear picture of the product, it’s use, and the probable value.
Earning your trust is important to me. I run this website myself and the commissions and donations help support the site.
Sound reasonable and fair enough? Let’s continue to the article.
Find Comfort in Pasta Carbonara
Italians love Pasta Carbonara!
Comprised of a mixture of pasta, cheese, bacon and other fat laden ingredients, it almost creates a cholesterol surge just by looking at it.
No one quite knows the origin of this comfort food. However, most Italians know the compelling aroma and delicious flavors.
We’ve recreated this delicious authentic dish. By substituting healthier plant-based foods for the heavy animal based ones, we offer a much healthier option. But the flavors still shine through. We believe you won’t miss those calories and cholesterol!
- 10-12 large Shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced and destemmed
- 5 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 small butternut squash (sweet potato will also work)
- 1 T coconut aminos
- 2.5 T nutritional yeast
- 2 shallots
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- juice of one lemon
- black pepper to taste
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 12 oz spinach
- Remaining 1/2 of squash (or another sweet potato)
- Fresh parsley, chopped
Create the Sauce and pasta
- Peel the butternut squash. Remove seeds. Cube the inside and steam for about 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
- While the squash steams, boil water for the noodles in a large pot. Cook according to package instructions. Drain the noodles in a colander.
- Sauté the shallots on medium-low heat until translucent. If needed, add a little bit of veggie broth or coconut oil to the pan. When done, remove from heat and put into a blender.
- Once the butternut finishes steaming, add half of the cubes to the blender, along with all the other Carbonara sauce ingredients, and blend on high until a creamy, thick consistency is achieved. Add more almond milk as needed. Set aside.
Create the Bacon
- Marinate the sliced mushrooms in the coconut aminos, black pepper, and smoked paprika for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat a medium-sized pan. Add oil, then the marinated mushrooms.
- Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until dry.
- De-glaze with the apple cider vinegar, give shake the mushrooms to mix.
- Remove from heat. Leave them in the pan, set aside.
Assemble the Pasta Carbonara
- Pre-heat a large skillet.
- Add the sauce.
- Add the spinach and remaining butternut cubes.
- Cook for about 4 or 5 minutes, stirring constantly. The sauce should thicken slightly.
- When thickened, add the noodles and stir until well-coated.
- Plate, then garnish with bacon and parsley