A Caveat and Affiliates
First off, a little caveat: within my articles you will find affiliate links, meaning if you buy them, I get a small commission. Your cost is not affected. In addition, I am an Amazon Associate and I earn from qualifying purchases on Amazon.
And yes, if I say that I recommend a product here, it means I truly believe it is a good product. I refuse to recommend any product that I have not researched and believe to be a good value.
Even better, I provide you with a very clear picture of the product, it’s use, and the probable value.
Earning your trust is important to me. I run this website myself and the commissions and donations help support the site.
Sound reasonable and fair enough? Let’s continue to the article.
Love Sour Cream? Looking for a Vegan Sour Cream?
Our vegan sour cream recipe provides a full sour cream flavor without the dairy. Actually, we offer two different recipes allowing you to choose ingredients.
Recipe 1 uses tofu as the base.
Tofu offers a creamy base and this recipe whips up quickly.
Recipe 2 uses cashews and no soy.
Prefer a plant-based recipe with no soy? Try this one. It does require planning ahead as the cashews need to be soaked. However, we think you will enjoy the finished product.
Recipe 1- Vegan Sour Cream, Soy Version
- 1 (12.3oz/349g) pack organic firm silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice,
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives or green onions (optional)
- Put all ingredients, except the chives/onions in a blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy, about 60 seconds
- Adjust flavors by adding more lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and/or seasonings to taste.
- Put into serving dish or add to your finished food
- Top with chives or onions, if desired
NOTE: Stores in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
We really like the power and function of this blender and think you will, too. Although I also have a Vitamix and an inexpensive “quick blend” blender, this one remains my personal favorite!
Recipe 2- Vegan Sour Cream, Cashew Version
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup water
- Put all ingredients in your blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Adjust flavors by increasing lemon juice and/or yeast.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
NOTE: Stores in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.
Vegan Sour Cream fills in wherever dairy sour cream appears.
Consider enjoying it with our Mexican Cuisine recipes.
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: Per the FTC’s recent policy update that requests we be transparent about any and all affiliate relations we may have in this guide, you the visitor or customer, should assume that any and all links in this guide are affiliate links. If you utilize these links and visit the resulting site, a cookie may be set in your web browser that will cause us to receive compensation if you make a purchase. Your cost remains the same.