Vegan Globetrotter is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
What Vegan Superfoods to Add to Smoothies
Are you looking to give your smoothies a nutritional boost? If so, then adding some vegan superfoods is a great way to do that! Superfoods are nutrient-rich foods that offer a wide range of health benefits. And, when it comes to plant-based superfoods, we find many different options to add to your smoothies. And, when looking for ways to improve your health, adding some of these superfoods to your smoothies makes a great place to start. This blog post discusses some of the best vegan superfoods to add to your smoothies. So, keep reading for tips on incorporating these powerhouse ingredients into your next drink!
Best Superfoods to Add to Smoothies
- These tiny seeds come packed with fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- They help to thicken up your smoothie and make it more filling.
- Like chia seeds, flaxseeds contain a good source of fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Adding flaxseeds to your smoothie helps boost its nutrient content.
- Hemp hearts:
- Hemp hearts (shelled hemp seed) provide a good source of plant-based protein and healthy fats.
- Adding them to your smoothie helps to increase its protein and nutrient content.
Other seeds: Pumpkin, sunflower, and other seeds add a boost to nutrition, too.
- Pumpkin seeds contain manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, iron, and potassium.
- Sunflower seeds offer vitamin E, thiamin, vitamin B-6, selenium, folate, and niacin.
- Spinach makes a great leafy green to add to smoothies.
- It’s packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Adding spinach to your smoothie provides a great nutrient boost.
- Other leafy greens:
- Like spinach, kale, arugula, collard greens, watercress, and other leafy greens offer incredible nutrition.
- In fact, Dr. Fuhrman, author of Eat-To-Live and many other nutrition-based books, considers these to be one of the most nutrient-dense foods and bases his ANDI score on using them as the perfect score to which other foods are compared.
- Another great addition to your plant-based smoothies, berries add sweetness and flavor to smoothies.
- They’re also packed with antioxidants and other nutrients.
- In addition to vitamins and minerals, berries increase your smoothie’s fiber content.
- Adding berries to your smoothie can make it more delicious and nutritious.
Raw cacao powder:
- Rich in antioxidants, cacao adds a delicious chocolate flavor to your smoothie.
- Cacao provides a good source of magnesium, iron, and other minerals.
This list shows just some of the best vegan superfoods to add to your smoothies. Experiment with different ingredients to find what you like best.
Is it important to use organic ingredients?
Readers often ask if organic foods offer more nutrition or more health benefits. Research indicates that they do not have a big nutritional benefit.
However, that isn’t the entire answer. Studies show the possible hazards of eating foods laden with pesticides and unnatural additives. The Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 list, updated each year, help us choose which foods contain the most and which have the least contaminants. For the safest choices, always look for organic, even if the food is on the “clean 15” list.
Yes, the food might be slightly higher in price. Growing food using strictly organic methods can be more expensive to do. But the end result benefits your overall health and that of our environment. We recommend looking for sales, buying local in season, and using frozen and even dehydrated when needed.
Is Frozen Food as Nutritious as Fresh?
It turns out, in most cases, frozen is just as healthy and nutrient-filled as fresh. In fact, it can be a bit more so, if the fresh food is days or weeks old. The reason is simple. Frozen food is frozen soon after harvesting. It doesn’t sit for days or weeks in crates during transportation. So those vital nutrients are sealed in quickly.
Over time, the nutrients do fade a bit in frozen foods. But if you consume it within a few months, it may remain as nutritious as the day it was harvested!
What about dried powder additives, capsules, and the like?
Like our frozen choices, the powders and capsules often come from fresh ingredients, thus retaining nutrients. However, each manufacturer chooses its timing and methods. When using these, we recommend you check the nutritional analysis which is required to be printed on the container. Powdered and granulated foods offer a good, often concentrated, nutrition boost when properly handled.
Other Benefits of dried ingredients
During the drying process, the moisture is mostly removed. This allows for four very important benefits.
- The dehydrated or freeze-dried product has a longer shelf life, without the need for preservatives, due to the lack of moisture.
- Drying reduces the product’s size and weight, making storage and transport much easier and less expensive.
- Home use and storage are also greatly improved, allowing for less waste. You might actually save money by using some dried ingredients in your smoothies!
- Some ingredients may be difficult to find. Using dried ingredients offers a wider range of potential products.
Fresh is Best?
Sometimes we believe that fresh offers the best in flavor, texture, and overall smoothie love. In fact, when strawberries ripen, we flock to the field to enjoy them fresh and in our smoothies. Blueberries come in a close second, too. That juicy fresh flavor pops!
However, the fruit available in the fresh section of our markets often offers less of that fresh appeal. For those times, head to the frozen or dried options.
We encourage you to try fresh, frozen, and dried ingredients in your smoothies to ensure you receive the best of all.
What vegan superfoods to add to smoothies? Try these!
We hope you found this post helpful and provided you with inspiration to start experimenting with some of these nutrient-rich foods in your own blends. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below – we love hearing from our readers. And finally, don’t forget to share this post with your friends and followers on social media. Thanks for reading!