A Caveat and Affiliates
First off, a little caveat: within my articles you will find affiliate links, meaning if you buy them, I get a small commission. Your cost is not affected. In addition, I am an Amazon Associate and I earn from qualifying purchases on Amazon.
And yes, if I say that I recommend a product here, it means I truly believe it is a good product. I refuse to recommend any product that I have not researched and believe to be a good value.
Even better, I provide you with a very clear picture of the product, it’s use, and the probable value.
Earning your trust is important to me. I run this website myself and the commissions and donations help support the site.
Sound reasonable and fair enough? Let’s continue to the article.
French Onion Soup
Vegan French Onion Soup is a delightful dinner or appetizer soup with caramelized onions and flavorful thyme broth served with warm and crusty sliced bread and melting cheese. This is a plant-based version, warm and cozy light onion soup, yet it’s made with only a few ingredients.
It’s a substantial, elegant, and surprisingly simple recipe for Vegan French Onion Soup. The primary difference is that I use vegetable stock instead of beef stock in my vegan version. There’s nothing better than a nice bowl of soup to keep you warm during Valentine’s Day or any other day of the year!
Tips and FAQ’s
- Add more flavor to your dish.
- Caramelized onions quickly.
- It’s not essential to use wine to prepare French Onion Soup.
Store and Reheat
- Refrigerator: Soup leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 6 days.
- Reheat: Simply warm over medium-low heat in a pan on the burner until warmed through.
- Freezer: French Onion Soup may be preserved in the freezer for up to 2–3 months without the bread and cheese. Allow cooling fully before transferring to multi-use freezer containers to freeze. Before reheating, let the soup defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
That’s all for now! It takes around 1 and a half hours to make this simple French Onion Soup, but it’s well worth it!
French Onion Soup Recipe:
French Onion Soup
- 1 oz olive oil extra virgin
- 3 large onions white or yellow, sliced into thin half-moons
- 3 large thyme sprigs fresh
- 1 quart vegetable stock no salt added (If not vegan Beef Broth/Chicken Broth)
- 16 ounces water filtered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 oz balsamic vinegar good-quality
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp sea salt divided (plus more to taste if needed)
- whole-grain bread sprouted
- vegan cheese melted
- cheese grated
- In a large soup pot, heat 3 tsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onions, thyme, salt, and olive oil to the pan.
- Cooked without cover for 60 minutes or until the onions caramelized and turn light golden brown.
- Cook until the balsamic has been absorbed and the onions have turned a darker brown, about 15 minutes more.
- Put the stock, water, bay leaf, remaining salt, and pepper to a boil.
- In medium heat continue to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Before serving, remove the bay leaf.
- Instead of balsamic vinegar, use 1/4 cup of excellent quality, robust red wine. If you prefer to use wine instead of balsamic vinegar, I recommend a burgundy or cabernet sauvignon.
- Onion soup also makes a great base for a vegetable soup- consider trying it with your favorite vegetables and perhaps tofu or seitan added.