Vegan Globetrotter is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
Welcome to the yummiest vegan version of everyone’s favorite Passover breakfast treat: matzo brei! After years of thinking that I could never make this classic dish with a vegan alternative, I am thrilled that now I can enjoy it all year round. This vegan recipe offers up crisp and syrupy matzo pieces coated in creamy plant-based goodness. With a few simple ingredients, you can have homemade breakfast perfection on your table in no time at all! So let’s get cooking; matzo brei is calling our names!
Vegan Matzo Brei: Everyone’s Favorite Passover Breakfast!
Eating vegan does not mean you have to miss out on the traditional dishes you know and love. Matzo brei is a classic Jewish Passover favorite and with a few easy swaps, it can be made vegan-friendly! This simple dish, often served for breakfast or brunch, combines oatmeal and matzo crackers with a splash of vegan butter. Serve it with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and your choice of syrup, jam, or fruit for an easy but flavorful dish that everyone at the table can enjoy. Reimagining this traditional breakfast just goes to show that going vegan doesn’t have to be boring – it’s possible to keep your favorite flavor without compromising your values.
History and its Traditions
Matzo Brei is a classic Jewish dish consisting of matzo and egg, often served as a breakfast food. This age-old recipe has been passed down through the generations, with recipes dating back over two hundred years. It is traditionally served during Passover as a reminder of ancient traditions but is also enjoyed year-round by those who appreciate its tasty yet simple combination. In some parts of the world, it is prepared sweet, by adding cinnamon and sugar to the mix, while in others it tends to be cooked savory using salt, garlic, and onion for added flavor. A favorite among all ages, Matzo Brei provides comfort no matter where you’re from or what time of year it happens to be.
Vegan Matzo Brei
If you want to try this Vegan Matzo Brei Recipe, share your photo and experience with us. In addition, let us know what you think in the comments below by using #veganglobetrotter and #veganmatzobrei
Vegan Matzo Brei
Let's gather the ingredients!
- 1½ matzos crumbled
- ¼ cup oatmeal ground
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup for serving
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper for serving
- Combine the crumbled matzos, oatmeal, and a pinch of salt in a heatproof bowl. Pour 1 cup boiling water and stir them together. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Melt the vegan butter in a hot skillet. Once it’s sizzling, pour in the matzo mixture and pat it in evenly. Cover and cook over medium-high for 6 to 8 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown and crisp.
- Slide the matzo brei out onto a plate about the same size as the skillet. Holding the bottom of the plate with one hand, invert the skillet over the plate with the other, and then flip the right side up quickly. Cook the other side of the matzo brei until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes longer.
- Slide onto a serving plate. Serve at once with maple syrup and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper over the top.
- Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
For More Vegan Recipes
I’ve provided a list of vegan dishes that are all made completely of ingredients from plants. Additionally, they make a wonderful addition to any vegan dish. These are tasty even for meat eaters. And for more vegan recipes, subscribe to our newsletter!
Try out this exquisite vegan breakfast recipe for yourself and discover the winning combination of nutritional value, taste, and convenience! Be sure not to forget the finishing touches of your favorite fruits or vegetables, which are sure to turn your vegan matzo brei into something truly extraordinary. We are confident you won’t be disappointed. Give this recipe a shot and join us in celebrating its wonderful benefits. Plus, let us know what you think!
Connect With Us
To make sure you don’t miss any recipes, remember to subscribe to our email newsletter which will be delivered to your inbox every week. ? In addition to this, if you are looking for delicious baking recipes visit Best Baking Tips they also published a lot of healthy baking recipes!