Vegan Globetrotter is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
Why Eat Organic Fruits And Vegetables – Encourage It!
People eat organic food because it offers natural, healthy benefits. Mankind made it part of their daily meals to ingest natural crops for centuries. People eat raw fruits and vegetables and sometimes even cooked them. Besides, there were no pesticides, and herbicides back then. Folks were not aware of chemicals like hexane in food processing. Even genetically modified organisms or GMOs didn’t exist before. So it is likely safe for everyone to consume foods coming from nature.
The safety of fresh produce makes it reasonable to eat them. Yet why should we eat organic food is what people still ask due to cost considerations. The price of growing non-organic greens may be the same or even cheaper. That would be in comparison to cultivating organic food. Thus it is understandable why many push for the use of artificial or altered food sources.
There is more to fresh produce than coming from the earth. Nature provides them for world consumption and because they have so many things to offer.
It Is Justifiable Why People Eat Organic Food
There are so many vegan food items that are very accessible. So why eat organic fruits and vegetables? Even if it may be difficult or impossible to have a perfect diet, it does pay to have most foods that are natural. Eating organic produce means safer eating. That is to say, in that way, you are likely to have foods that are free of harmful substances that are avoidable.
It does make sense to have the desire to eat clean food. After all, we humans are also after comfort and safety. If possible, we steer clear of things that may cause harm to our bodies. If not, we at least reduce our intake of unfavorable things. Thus why should you eat organic food is a question with an obvious answer. It’s better to be safe than sorry and we are happier when we receive the good things in life.
Plus, going organic does have environmental benefits. No unwanted chemicals pollute the earth due to natural farming. It may help farmers have less or no exposure to pollutants. So suppliers and consumers enjoy advantages when selecting organic food items.
More Specifics Why People Eat Organic Food
There are plenty of food choices in the market today for strict vegetarians. It is only up to vegans to look for fresh produce that is natural to have a healthy diet. Besides, more often than not, crops coming from nature taste and feel better. So it makes sense when folks choose organic products over their counterparts. That is regardless of their price in the market.
Detailed Benefits Of Going All-Natural
- We get the full potential of organic fruits and vegetables when going natural. Their DNA codes are intact and all their components as crops. People don’t even uproot them before they mature. So it’s clear why what the earth provides is better compared to those altered by humans.
- Because they experienced no adjustments, pure vegetarian food enters the body better. They have their original texture, smell, taste, and appearance. Also, they give better health benefits. Being untouched makes them have high nutritional content. It means that they have more antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals too.
- Pure crops are challenging to grow but at least they deliver freshness every time.
- It helps small farm owners and the environment. Farmers limit if not avoid their contact with non-chemical food farming. This means reducing if not stopping the release of things that could harm the atmosphere. This encourages biodiversity too. These things are enough to prove why people eat organic food.
- Having them gives an assurance of not getting exposed to detrimental chemicals. Some things used in farming may cause acute and chronic problems in humans. Examples of the possible problems from chemical exposure are allergies and cancer.
Disadvantages Of Choosing Natural Fruits and Veggies
- Many modified greens are very accessible. Farming these crops often results in more yields.
- They can have longer shelf live due to preservatives (of course, these are not necessarily healthy for you)
- Often, organic foods are more expensive
Check The EWG Recommendations
The EWG or environmental working group provides healthy choices for everyone. They have their trademark lists which are the Dirty 12 and the Clean 15. They understand why people eat organic food so they release their food classifications. Their purpose is to differentiate organic foods grown with and without pesticides. Thus they are worth checking.
The group releases these things every year for public viewing. Helping consumers is one of the goals of the non-profit and non-partisan organization. We can eat right with their help by checking the list they posted. Knowing these things is better than taking chances. Sometimes, peeling, scrubbing, or washing food may not be enough anymore. So pick the right ones to eat instead.
Use your fresh or frozen organic fruits, vegetables, greens to make delicious smoothies!
Here are their lists as part of their Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides In Produce.
These often have the highest pesticide residue in the US. This proves that not all fruits and veggies are clean. Why should we eat organic food is due to things like this.
- Kale, collard, and mustard greens
- Bell and hot peppers
These have the least pesticides during farming. Why people eat organic food items like this is because they are likely safer for consumption.
- Sweet Corn
- Sweet Peas (frozen)
- Honeydew lemon
- Sweet Potatoes
Why should you eat organic food is due to safety first. Usually, taste and wanting to help others come next. Since keeping away from the health hazards is a priority then it makes sense to go for pure greens. If not that then at least picking edibles that are less risky is reasonable.
It may not be possible in some places for people to avoid pesticide exposure due to food. Harmful chemicals in food processing are abundant worldwide too. Yet it does matter to reduce our consumption of things that could put us in harm’s way. Plus, by living healthy, we can enjoy life more.
About The Pesticide Use and Why People Eat Organic Food
To better understand why people eat organic food, it would be ideal to know what there is to avoid. One of the biggest things that worries people in conventional farming is pesticides. These chemicals are around to help farmers control weed and insect infestations. Though they protect and increase yields, they still have harmful effects on humans. Thus experts recommend avoiding exposure to them.
The most common ones used are neem oil and pyrethrin which come in spray bottles. They are accessible and often used in agricultural crop farming. The dirty dozen fruits and veggies get exposed to them. Why should you eat organic food is due to the farmers’ usage. They have negative health effects after entering the body. So it pays to read about these to better understand why folks go for natural crops.
Common Problems Brought About By Pesticide Exposure
- Getting high levels of pyrethrin or pyrethroid can lead to some health issues. Examples are vertigo, gagging, body weakness, and altered consciousness. Even involuntary muscle jerking or twitching and headaches are possible.
- Ingestion of neem oil can result in confusion, memory loss, and personality change. Things like seizures, headaches, vomiting, and gastric problems may also happen.
Should you eat organic food?
For the most part, why people eat organic food is because they prefer to stay healthy. Plenty of evidence shows that natural fruits and vegetables are healthy foods. They do not contain toxic elements such as pesticides. They did not undergo any alterations or have GMOs. So, in most cases, they are very safe for human consumption.
Still, fresh produce has a distinctive taste. Also, pure greens are very nutritious and packed only with what nature provides. Yet, nowadays, some organic farmers use chemicals on their crops. So things like the Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 by the EWG may come in handy.
Yet what we eat is up to us. We decide if we want to go for a full vegan experience or not. What’s important is having an informed decision when picking up food. That is to say, eating while knowing what goes into our bodies.