Vegan Globetrotter is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
Delicious Lemon Garlic Pasta Shells Supreme
Do you love buttery lemon sauces? Our family does! Inspired to create a healthier version of a Lemon Butter Pasta dish, I created this to be quick and easy, yet filled with nutrients. The result, the Lemon Garlic Pasta Shells Supreme, was a huge hit with the entire family. Thankfully, I had made a large batch!
<scroll down for the video>
The recipe provides for a generous dinner portion. I might serve it with a fresh salad next time.
This might seem like a bit of extra sauce to some people. Indeed, I planned that. The extra sauce provides more balance and helps flavor each part. If you prefer your sauce to be a topping, rather than all-encompassing, feel free to reduce the amount a bit.
I’m including links to the products I used to create this dish.
These are affiliate links but if you purchase from the link, your cost is unaffected.
The Carbon Steel Wok Set: I use this almost every day! It heats evenly and cleans in seconds. Use it when you stir-fry, of course. But I also use it for other cooking, too. In this recipe, it cooked up the seitan cubes quickly and evenly. I love this wok!
I have the Blue Diamond set and find it so useful! Of course, I use my stainless pots, a cast iron set, and carbon steel for various cooking, too. But for everyday cooking, my Blue Diamond cookware is fantastic. The Dutch Oven is nice for larger batches. But consider the entire set for everyday use.
Blue Diamond is pretty durable. But I use these silicone whisks, along with the tongs and spatulas with the Blue Diamond Cookware. Not only do they work well for me, but they also clean so easily.
I prefer soup bowls made from ceramic and with handles. These are stackable, so save me a lot of cupboard space, too. This set is one I use for soups, casseroles, and even vegetable pot pie. I have other sets that I like, too, but this is my favorite for these recipes. They hold in the heat nicely and clean up as easily as those silicone whisks!
That’s really what I use for this recipe. Not much to clean up when dinner is over, either.
The ingredients can be found at your local store or on Amazon:
Organic and Whole-Grain pasta can be challenging to find in some local stores. We like homemade pasta but sometimes the box of pre-made fits into my time schedule better. This one is a product of Italy; can pasta be more authentic than that made in Italy? Follow the cooking directions and it comes out perfectly!
Nutritional yeast is a staple in our home, as it is in many vegan homes. It provides that cheese-like flavor without cholesterol. And it provides a good source of B vitamins, potassium, and zinc.
For lemon zest and orange zest, you can zest your own. And that is delicious. However, we use it often enough that I chose to switch to the packaged variety. Although the zest is just the outer portion, I use the peel. It has a stronger flavor, so if you prefer a lighter flavor, just use about half as much. Note: when you use the peel in this recipe, it will look strange as you mix it. Don’t worry, though. In the finished product, you won’t notice it.
Yes, you can find garlic powder at nearly every local grocery. However, if you are seeking organic garlic powder, you might need to order online. This is a very flavorful variety.
The other ingredients should be available locally. For the milk component, our family uses soy for some things and oat for others. In the case of this recipe, I prefer oat milk. I think it gives a creamier flavor. If you prefer soy or even almond, use it in the same amounts.
Lemon Garlic Pasta with Seitan
- 16 ounces whole-wheat pasta shells or your favorite whole-grain pasta
- 1 cups soy milk or other plant-based milk
- ¾ cup vegan butter divided
- ½ cup lemon juice fresh is best
- ¼ cup lemon zest
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 pound mixed vegetables frozen, thawed
- 2 tsp celery salt or use no salt substitute
- 3 cups seitan cubed
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions.
- When done, drain and set aside.
Cook the seitan chunks
- Sauté the seitan chunks in 2 Tablespoons of the vegan butter, turning as they cook to brown evenly. Cook for 5-7 minutes, being careful to avoid over-cooking.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let rest while you make the sauce.
Make the Sauce
- While pasta cooks, begin the sauce. Put the remaining vegan butter in a large saucepan and melt over medium heat.
- Add the oat milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder. Continue stirring to blend as it heats.
- Simmer about 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the mixed vegetables and stir until hot.
- Stir in the pasta and celery salt, mixing to combine well. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot topped with the seitan chunks or mix the chunks in prior to serving.
- If desired, top with vegan Parmesan cheese, diced tomatoes, or a sprinkling of basil.
Note:Using the frozen mixed vegetables saves prep and cooking time. However, we often choose to use fresh vegetables and love the extra flavors they impart.
Other additions to try:
- Artichoke hearts, sliced
- Sliced black olives
- sunflower or pumpkin seeds
For those avoiding soy, possible substitutes include:
- oat milk instead of soy milk
- Field Roast or other soy-free Italian Sausage
- Use gluten-free pasta and replace the seitan with tofu cubes
Have you tried the LEMON GARLIC PASTA recipe?
We’d like to hear how you and your family enjoyed this recipe! Please leave a comment below.