Vegan Globetrotter is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
Our Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
Nothing quite compares to the frustration of getting ready to make dinner and finding you are missing a necessary ingredient. In this case, I had forgotten to stock up on Worcestershire Sauce. However, necessity is the mother of invention, right? And in our case, it resulted in a delicious homemade vegan Worcestershire sauce that tastes better than the store-bought version. Additionally, our sauce costs less to make and whips up in about 5 minutes.
Yes, 5 minutes. I can’t even get to the store in that amount of time!
Did you know that most Worcestershire sauces are not vegan? It’s true. Most contain tiny fish known as anchovies. They provide a salty fish taste. But then, seaweed substitutes fine for that flavoring and with added health benefits.
Our recipe uses dates for the sweetener. However, you may use a natural sweetener such as stevia or simply brown sugar. Either one provides the needed flavor balance. Dates just up the nutrient level a bit, so we use them.
How much Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce?
We use a large amount of our Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce when we make our Vegan Swiss Steak. It really brings out the flavors. In fact, we normally make 3-4 times this recipe. Any extra sauce that we don’t use that day refrigerates well for a couple of months, though it rarely lasts that long. If your family uses Worcestershire Sauce frequently, make up a larger batch and keep it available.
Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder add a little extra if you prefer spicy
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves we prefer a heaping tsp
- 1 clove garlic smashed into a paste
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp nori or your favorite type of seaweed, crumbled
- 4 tbsp dates ground fine; or brown sugar or preferred sweetener
- 2 tbsp molasses
- Put all ingredients into your blender.
- Process until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Pour into a jar with a well-fitted lid.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Shake well to mix before using.