A Caveat and Affiliates
First off, a little caveat: within my articles you will find affiliate links, meaning if you buy them, I get a small commission. Your cost is not affected. In addition, I am an Amazon Associate and I earn from qualifying purchases on Amazon.
And yes, if I say that I recommend a product here, it means I truly believe it is a good product. I refuse to recommend any product that I have not researched and believe to be a good value. Even better, I provide you with a very clear picture of the product, it’s use, and the probable value. Earning your trust is important to me. I run this website myself and the commissions and donations help support the site. Sound reasonable and fair enough? Let’s continue to the article.
This vegan take on the Thanksgiving classic, sweet potato gratin, is so delicious, no one will even miss the cheese. Thinly sliced sweet potatoes are layered with a creamy sauce made from almond milk, nutritional yeast, and garlic, then baked until golden brown. Top with fresh thyme for a tasty autumn dish. Sweet potato gratin is also a delicious way to enjoy winter vegetables. Serve it as a main dish or side dish, depending on your dietary needs. Enjoy!
Hearty Sweet Potato Gratin
Gratins are the perfect comfort food! They are warm, filling, and usually packed with flavor. This sweet potato gratin is no different! Made with just a few simple ingredients, this dish is sure to become a new family favorite. Read on for a list of reasons why you will love this recipe!
1. Easy to make! This dish only requires a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Plus, it comes together in just under an hour. So, if you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal, look no further!
2. Healthy! Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins and minerals like beta-carotene, potassium, and fiber. Plus, this recipe is dairy-free and vegan-friendly. So, whether you’re trying to eat healthier or have dietary restrictions, this gratin is the perfect meal for you!
3. Delicious! The combination of sweet potatoes, rosemary, and garlic is simply irresistible. Plus, the topping of crispy breadcrumbs adds the perfect amount of texture and flavor. Trust us, you’re going to want seconds!
So, there you have it! Three reasons why you will love this sweet potato gratin recipe. So, what are you waiting for? Give it a try tonight and let us know what you think in the comments below!
Sweet Potato Gratin: FAQS Answered
This holiday season, why not ditch the usual mashed potatoes in favor of something a little more exciting? This sweet potato gratin is the perfect side dish to elevate your Christmas dinner. Read on to find out all you need to know about this recipe, including how to make it vegan-friendly.
What is a gratin?
A gratin is a dish that is usually made with potatoes, cheese, and cream. The potatoes are thinly sliced and layered in a baking dish. They are then covered with cheese and cream before being baked until golden brown and bubbly. This recipe features sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes for a festive twist.
What kind of cheese should I use?
For this recipe, you can use any type of cheese that you like. If you want to keep it vegan, you can use plant-based cheese or even omit the cheese altogether. If you’re using cheese, I recommend using a sharp cheddar for the best flavor.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! This recipe can be made up to two days in advance. Simply prepare the dish up to the point of baking, cover it tightly with foil, and store it in the fridge. When you’re ready to bake it, let it come to room temperature first, then bake as directed.
This holiday season, liven up your dinner table with this delicious sweet potato gratin! With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a show-stopping side dish that will have your guests asking for seconds.
Your new family favorite–sweet potato gratin!
Sweet Potato Gratin
- cooking spray
- 3 medium sweet potato or Yukon potato; peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg ground or grated
- 1/2 tsp ginger ground
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 8 oz. almond milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese vegan, finely grated
- 3/4 cup Gruyère cheese vegan, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease the baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss to combine the sweet potato, all-purpose flour, kosher salt, nutmeg, ginger, and ginger.
- In a prepared baking dish, add the almond milk then add the sweet potato mixture, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; repeat the layers and top with Gruyere cheese.
- Bake them for 40 minutes with a cover and continue to bake for 30 minutes without a cover.
- Allow them to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Vegan Globetrotter Tips & Suggestions
- Serve with a green salad and crusty bread for a complete meal. If you're looking to dress it up a bit, top it with fresh thyme or rosemary before serving.
- If you can't find almond milk, any other non-dairy milk will work in its place. I like to use coconut milk or cashew milk.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat in a 350°F oven until heated through.
- For a spicier gratin, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the almond milk.
- For a cheesy flavor, stir in 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast flakes after adding the milk mixture.
- Add 1 cup of cooked lentils or beans for extra protein. Lentils work especially well with this dish.
- Top with chopped nuts before serving for some extra crunch. Pecans or walnuts would be great here.
For More Vegan Recipes
I’ve provided a list of vegan dishes that are all made completely of ingredients from plants. Additionally, they make a wonderful addition to any vegan dish. These are tasty even for meat eaters, and for more vegan recipes subscribe to our newsletter.
Italian Crunchy Au Gratin Peppers
To Wrap It All Up
So there you have it, everything you need to know about making a delicious sweet potato gratin. This dish is perfect for feeding a crowd and is sure to become a new family favorite. If you have any more questions, be sure to check out the FAQs section above. #veganglobetrotter
Connect With Us
If you tried this sweet potato gratin take a 📸 and tag us on our social media: Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest, and subscribed to our YouTube Channel. I’d be delighted to see it!
To make sure you don’t miss any recipes, remember to subscribe to our email newsletter which will be delivered to your inbox every week. 📩 In addition to this, if you are looking for vegan baking recipes visit Best Baking Tips they also published a lot of healthy baking recipes.
Fall Fruits and Veggies-Must Haves
Don't miss out
when new recipes and information are added!
Join our newsletter for free recipes,
healthy living inspiration, and special offers
You have Successfully Subscribed!