Vegan Globetrotter is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
Do you ever think of Italian food and wonder how it’s made? It’s no surprise that Italy is well-known for producing some of the tastiest dishes in the world. From traditional pizzas to incredible pasta, this country has so many wonderful meals. But today, we’re learning about Italian Flatbread (Piadina)! This flatbread has been delighting people since ancient Roman times, and with its crispy exterior and chewy interior loaded with delicious fillings, it’s easy to see why! Let’s go ahead and take a look at all the steps required for preparing this delectable dish; you may find your newest favorite meal!
When it comes to Italian cuisine, there are a few things that come to mind, like pizza, pasta, and of course, piadina. This flatbread is a beloved staple in the streets of Italy and with good reason! Fluffy, airy, and crunchy at the same time, it’s the ultimate comfort food for any time of the day. Imagine biting into a warm piadina, filled with your favorite fillings, vegan cheeses, and veggies. The flavors and aromas will transport you straight to the piazze of Italy. And what’s even better is that you can make your own at home with just a few simple ingredients! With piadina, you’ll always have a slice of Italy in your home, and in your heart.
Make Them Ahead!
So you want to make classic Italian flatbreads, known as piadina, ahead of time? Well, you’re in luck! With just a few simple steps and some handy tips, you’ll have delicious, homemade piadina ready whenever you need them.
Italian Flatbread (Piadina)
If you want to try this Vegan Italian Flatbread (Piadina) recipe, share your photo and experience with us. In addition, let us know what you think in the comments below by using #veganglobetrotter, #italianflatbread, and #piadina
Italian Flatbread (Piadina)
Let's gather the ingredients!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup warm water + 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, warm water, and olive oil.
- Mix all the ingredients with a spoon until you have a sticky dough ball.
- Transfer the dough ball to a surface dusted with flour, and knead for 5 minutes until you have a soft and smooth ball.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces of about 80 grams each.
- Shape each piece into a ball. Cover with a damp cloth, and rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten the dough balls into a thin, round flatbread.
- Rotate the dough often while you roll it out to get a regular round shape.
- Cook the piadina on a hot skillet on medium-low heat. Let cook for about 2 minutes on one side and 1 minute on the other.
- When cooked, put it on a plate in between a clean kitchen cloth when to preserve moisture.
- Repeat with the other flatbreads till you are done.
- Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
For More Vegan Recipes
I’ve provided a list of vegan dishes that are all made completely of ingredients from plants. Additionally, they make a wonderful addition to any vegan dish. These are tasty even for meat eaters.
And for more vegan recipes, subscribe to our newsletter!
Are you ready to whip up your very own piadina? There’s no time like the present! Whether for a special occasion or just an afternoon snack, this Italian flatbread will surely hit the spot. With its delicious and diverse flavor, you can top it with anything and everything from sweet jam and honey to savory chunks of vegan cheese. And let’s not forget about the array of herbs that go into making that scrumptious dough.
Let yourself indulge in the mushy center while experiencing its crisp and golden outer shell—we guarantee you won’t regret it! So why delay? Grab a rolling pin, some flour, and salt so you can make your very own piadina. Let us know what you think!
What is Piadina?
Piadina is a type of Italian flatbread that is typically made with flour, water, salt, and lard or olive oil.
Is Piadina difficult to make at home?
Piadina is relatively easy to make at home with just a few basic ingredients and minimal equipment.
What makes Italian Flatbread (Piadina) so special?
Imagine a warm, thin, and slightly crispy bread that envelops a medley of flavorful ingredients. That’s Italian Flatbread, or Piadina, for you!
Is piadina available for delivery?
Yes, piadina is available for delivery. Many Italian restaurants and pizzerias offer piadina as part of their delivery menu. You can enjoy the deliciousness of this Italian flatbread in the comfort of your own home.
Is the dough for piadina cooked fresh?
Yes, you get dough cooked fresh piadina. Piadina is traditionally made by combining flour, water, salt, and sometimes a bit of oil. The dough is then rolled out into thin discs and cooked on a griddle or flat pan. This process ensures that you get a piadina with freshly cooked dough, resulting in a warm and delicious flatbread.
Where can I find a creamy hot sauce called "Firenze" to accompany piadina?
The exact keyword “creamy hot sauce Firenze” doesn’t correspond to a specific or widely known hot sauce associated with piadina. Firenze is the Italian name for Florence, a city in Italy. While there may be hot sauces with the name “Firenze,” it’s not a commonly recognized sauce specifically meant for piadina. However, you can enhance your piadina experience by pairing it with various sauces such as pesto, tomato sauce, garlic aioli, or even a spicy chili sauce. These sauces can add flavor and complement the taste of piadina. Availability and specific sauce variations may vary depending on your location and the establishment you choose.
What are vegan substitutes for the Italian cooked ham grilled chicken breast and Italian cooked ham for the piadina?
For vegan substitutes for Italian cooked ham and grilled chicken breast in your piadina, here are some options:
- Vegan Substitutes for Italian Cooked Ham:
- Vegan Deli Slices: Look for plant-based deli slices that have a smoky or savory flavor similar to Italian cooked ham. Brands like Tofurky, Field Roast, and Lightlife offer vegan deli slices that can be a suitable replacement.
- Smoked Tofu: Smoked tofu has a rich, smoky flavor that can mimic the taste of Italian cooked ham. Slice it thinly and add it to your piadina for a vegan alternative.
- Vegan Substitutes for Grilled Chicken Breast:
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms: Portobello mushrooms have a meaty texture and can be marinated and grilled to create a flavorful and satisfying substitute for grilled chicken breast.
- Seitan: Seitan is a protein-rich vegan meat substitute made from wheat gluten. It has a chewy texture and can be marinated and grilled to resemble grilled chicken breast.
These vegan substitutes will provide similar textures and flavors to Italian cooked ham and grilled chicken breast, allowing you to enjoy a vegan-friendly piadina. As always, check the ingredients and labels to ensure that the substitutes you choose align with your dietary preferences and restrictions.
Connect With Us
If you tried this Vegan Italian Flatbread (Piadina) recipe, take a picture or video, tag us on our social media: Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest, and subscribe to our YouTube Channel. I’d be delighted to see it! To ensure you don’t miss any recipes, subscribe to our email newsletter, which will be delivered to your inbox every week. In addition, if you are looking for delicious baking recipes, visit Best Baking Tips. They also published a lot of healthy baking recipes!