Vegan Globetrotter is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
If you’re looking for a delicious homemade dish that is both vegan and vegetarian friendly, then this Vegan Butternut Squash Galette recipe is the perfect option! Whether you have dietary restrictions or are just trying to shake up your regular meal routine, this galette provides a delicious way to do so with its flaky crust and savory squash and caramelized onion filling. Easy to make and featuring delicious flavors like onion, thyme, and rosemary. There’s something special about this savory tart that will fill your kitchen with deliciously warming aromas. Read on for a step-by-step instructions on how to make this delicious treat!
This vegan butternut squash galette is a truly wonderful dish, perfect for the holiday season or any other time you want a delicious savory treat. Though it’s traditionally an autumn dish, this flavorful combination can be enjoyed all year round. The combination of flavorful spices, butternut squash, and caramelized onion is delicious on their own, but it’s even better when wrapped in a flaky, herbed whole wheat crust.
The vegan feta cheese helps keep the traditional richness of this galette while keeping it dairy-free. An added bonus? This recipe requires very little prep time and makes clean up virtually effortless! There’s nothing more comforting and satisfying than enjoying a slice of this warm vegan butternut squash galette with your favorite meal.
Tips on how to make the perfect Butternut Squash Galette
Making the perfect vegan butternut squash galette takes some skill, but it can be done! Here are some tips that will help in the creation of this dish.
To start, look for fresh and flavorful produce- select a squash with bright yellow-orange flesh and a deep orange color. Make sure the vegetables you choose are firm and not overwatered or too soft.
For the crust, whole wheat flour and cornmeal works best as they helps create a flaky and tender crust. Use cold ingredients straight from the refrigerator like vegan butter and ice water, to prevent melting when mixing and rolling out the dough.
Herbs and Spices
Select and prepare your spices thoughtfully; not only do you want the flavors to blend nicely but the visuals will be show-stopping, too! Be generous with seasonings; adding herbs like thyme and rosemary will create a flavorful galette.
Finally, choose an optional vegan cheese to top your masterpiece! Nut cheeses are one of the best options available these days, I like using vegan feta cheese. If done properly, a delicious vegan butternut squash galette awaits you at dinnertime.
Butternut Squash Galette
If you want to try this Vegan Butternut Squash Galette Recipe, share your photo and experience with us. In addition, let us know what you think in the comments below by using #veganglobetrotter and #butternutsquashgalette
Butternut Squash Galette
Let's gather the ingredients!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¾ tbsp thyme finely chopped
- ¾ tbsp rosemary finely chopped
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- ½ cup vegan butter diced, very cold
- 3 tbsp ice water
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, sliced into 1-inch cubes
- pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion sliced thinly
- 1½ tbsp dijon mustard
- ¼ cup almond milk or other plant milk
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ cup vegan feta cheese crumbled
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, cornmeal, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the vegan butter and pulse until the butter is mixed in the flour mixture, but not entirely. Just until the butters are about the size of peas.
- With the food processor’s motor running, drizzle in the ice cold water through the feed tube. Once you’ve poured the water, stop the motor and then start hitting the pulse button until the dough comes together into a ball. Be careful not to over mix the dough.
- turn the dough out onto the counter and form it into a disc. Wrap the dough tightly with plastic wrap, and let it rest in the fridge for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scatter the sliced squash out on a baking sheet and toss with ½ tablespoon of the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Once coated, spread it out in a single layer and bake until just tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the squash from the oven and let it cool.
- In a pan over medium heat, cook the onions in olive oil, until it is caramelized and jammy. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the cooked squash, caramelized onion, salt, pepper, and remaining olive oil. once the filling is evenly mixed, set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, lay down the chilled dough, then evenly roll it out in a circle shape that’s roughly 11 inches in diameter. The crust may split on the edges as you roll. This is fine! Just grab some overhang pieces, patch up the cracks, and roll over to seal them up.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then carefully transfer the dough by rolling it up on a floured rolling pin, then smooth the dough after being transferred.
- Spoon the Dijon mustard directly onto the rolled out dough and spread it around evenly, leaving a 2-inch radius around the outside.
- Layer the butternut and onion filling on top, leaving a 2 inch radius around the outside as well. The filling should be an even thickness.
- Starting with one side, gently lift and press the crust up onto the filling to enclose it.
- Brush off any excess flour from the folded up crust. Then, brush the edges of exposed crust dough with almond milk and sprinkle evenly with the sesame seeds.
Let's bake and serve!
- Bake the galette for 25-30 minutes, rotating your baking sheet at the 15 minute mark. Bake until the filing is very tender and the crust is deep golden brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle the crumbled vegan cheese on top. Cut the galette into slices and serve warm.
- Enjoy with family and friends!
For More Vegan Recipes
I’ve provided a list of vegan dishes that are all made completely of ingredients from plants. Additionally, they make a wonderful addition to any vegan dish. These are tasty even for meat eaters. And for more vegan recipes, subscribe to our newsletter!
Give this easy vegan butternut squash galette a try for your next holiday dinner! It’s the perfect mix of savory and sweet, and is sure to be a hit with everyone at the table. Let us know how it goes in the comments below, and be sure to share photos of your creation on social media using the hashtag #veganglobetrotter
Connect With Us
To make sure you don’t miss any recipes, remember to subscribe to our email newsletter which will be delivered to your inbox every week. ? In addition to this, if you are looking for delicious baking recipes visit Best Baking Tips they also published a lot of healthy baking recipes!