Vegan Globetrotter is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
Craving something warm, delicious, AND vegan? Look no further than this flavorful Spicy Split Pea Soup! It’s bursting with the perfect combination of bold spices and hearty split peas. Plus it can be easily adapted to suit any dietary preferences – vegan-friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free, and oil-free. Whether you make this soup as a weeknight meal or for weekend comfort food cravings, there’s no wrong way to enjoy it – let’s get cooking!
Spicy Split Pea Soup: Warm and Hearty!
Spicy split pea soup is an incredibly flavorful vegan-friendly meal that is sure to bring warmth and satisfaction to any occasion. The classic ingredients of carrots, celery, onions, and split peas combine with a beautiful blend of aromatic herbs and spices like garlic, chili pepper, turmeric, garam masala, smoked paprika, bay leaves, and cayenne pepper to create a hearty, delicious soup that the whole family will enjoy. Enjoy the traditional version or get creative with vegan-friendly ingredients like olive oil and vegetable stock for that extra something special! With its irresistible combination of flavors bursting in each bite, vegan spicy split pea soup is a great option anyone can appreciate.
Making a vegan-friendly spicy split pea soup has never been easier! Start with some extra virgin olive oil and sauté your favorite vegetables. Onions, garlic, carrots, and celery all make great additions. Then you’ll want to add spices like cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, and ground coriander to give it that flavor boost you crave. Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper to your taste preference. If the heat gets too much for you then cut back on the chili powder or add in non-spicy ingredients like diced tomatoes and kale to cool things off. In no time at all, you will have a delicious vegan-friendly spicy split pea soup that your family can enjoy!
Spicy Split Pea Soup
If you want to try this Spicy Vegan Split Pea Soup Recipe, share your photo and experience with us. In addition, let us know what you think in the comments below by using #veganglobetrotter and #spicysplitpeasoup
Spicy Split Pea Soup
Let's gather the ingredients!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots thinly sliced
- ½ cup celery finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chili pepper finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric ground
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 sprigs thyme fresh
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry green split peas or yellow split peas
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Heat oil in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until soft.
- Add garlic, chili pepper, turmeric, garam masala, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often until the garlic becomes aromatic and the spices fragrant.
- Stir in thyme, bay leaf, and split peas. Stir well to fully coat split peas in spices. Add broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, and gently simmer, covered, for 40 to 50 minutes. At this point, the split peas should be soft and creamy, but still somewhat intact.
- Remove bare thyme stems and bay leaf from the soup. Ladle soup into each of the four bowls, and garnish with toppings of choice.
- Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
For More Vegan Recipes
I’ve provided a list of vegan dishes that are all made completely of ingredients from plants. Additionally, they make a wonderful addition to any vegan dish. These are tasty even for meat eaters. And for more vegan recipes, subscribe to our newsletter!
Split pea soup is one of those recipes that’s perfect for winter. It’s hearty, filling, and best of all, easy to make. This particular recipe has a bit of a kick to it, thanks to the addition of cayenne pepper. So if you’re looking for something to warm you up on a cold day, give this spicy split pea soup a try.
Connect With Us
To make sure you don’t miss any recipes, remember to subscribe to our email newsletter which will be delivered to your inbox every week. ? In addition to this, if you are looking for delicious baking recipes visit Best Baking Tips they also published a lot of healthy baking recipes!