Vegan Globetrotter is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
If you’re looking for a vegan-friendly lasagna recipe that’s high in protein and flavor, look no further than this butternut squash and spinach lasagna. With layers of creamy sauce, roasted butternut squash, and savory spinach, this dish is sure to please even the most disfcerning palate. Best of all, it’s easy to prepare and perfect for a busy weeknight fall dinner, thanksgiving day, and or Christmas.
While delicious, they are a healthy and great addition to your vegetarian meal and vegan diet as they are satisfying and fulfilling meals. The best of this recipe will become your go-to lasagna favorite vegan meal that you can’t resist.
Health Benefits of Butternut Squash and Spinach
Though they may not be the most popular vegetables, butternut squash and spinach are two of the most nutrient-dense foods you can eat. packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, these humble vegetables offer a host of health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some of the ways butternut squash and spinach can improve your health.
Butternut Squash: A Nutrient Powerhouse
Butternut squash is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, both of which are important for immune system function. Vitamin A is also essential for vision health, while vitamin C aids in collagen production and helps to keep skin looking youthful and radiant. In addition to these vitamins, butternut squash is also a good source of fiber, potassium, and magnesium. Fiber helps to keep you regular, potassium aids in blood pressure regulation, and magnesium is essential for bone health.
Spinach: More than just Popeye’s favorite vegetable
Like butternut squash, spinach is also packed with vitamins and minerals. It contains high levels of vitamins A, C, and K as well as manganese, folate, iron, and calcium. Vitamin A is important for eye health, while vitamin C provides numerous benefits including supporting the immune system and protecting against free radical damage. Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and bone health. Manganese is involved in energy production, while folate aids in cell growth and reproduction. finally, iron helps to transport oxygen throughout the body and calcium both bone and teeth.
Both of these vegetables are also excellent sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants help to protect cells against damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can cause cell damage leading to inflammation. This inflammation has been linked to a variety of chronic diseases including heart disease, cancer, and arthritis.
As you can see, butternut squash and spinach offer a host of health benefits. These humble vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other nutrients that can help improve your overall health. So next time you’re at the grocery store, don’t overlook these powerhouses! Your body will thank you for it.
So what are you waiting for? Grab the remaining ingerdeints and make this butternut squash and spinach lasagna.
Plant-based ingredients tips
This recipe is a healthy version of lasagna so it means all we need to consume or use are plant-based ingredients. In this recipe blog post, you will learn how to keep them healthy. Below are the ingredients we needed!
Butternut squash filling, butternut squash puree, vegan ricotta cheese, plant-based milk, kosher salt, and nutmeg. Any plant-based milk will work in this recipe.
Spinach filling, of course, spinach, vegan ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, minced garlic, and season with kosher salt and black pepper.
For other plant-based ingredients, you also need vegan lasagna noodles, vegan mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, paprika, and basil.
- Vegan cheese: Make sure they are vegan; it’s either homemade or store-bought.
- Lasagna noodles: I highly suggest using Tinkyada pasta, they are gluten-free and vegan.
- Plant-based: Any non-dairy or dairy-free milk will work in this recipe.
This healthy version of lasagna is as just easy as the traditional lasagna. You can make this recipe in the comfort of your house. Keep reading and you will find the recipe card below.
Healthy Version Lasagna–how to make it!
Anyone who is vegan or vegetarian knows that finding delicious recipes can be a challenge. Butternut squash and spinach lasagna is the perfect dish for those looking for something hearty, yet flavorful.
This recipe is easy to follow and doesn’t require many ingredients. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover vegetables you may have in your fridge. Below is a quick overview of how to make this healthy version of lasagna.
- Preheat the oven to 200F.
- In an ovenproof dish or tray, layer one-third of the butternut squash slices on the bottom followed by cooked lasagna noodles.
- Top with one-third of the fresh spinach filling, followed by one-third of the white onion, and mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle over half of the garlic cloves. Season with kosher salt, pepper, and dried herbs.
- Repeat layering until all ingredients are used up.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
So don’t wait any longer – give this recipe a try today!
Looking for more vegan fall recipes to add to your vegan diet?
Well, satisfy your tastebuds with our healthy and delicious: Mini Pumpkins Cream Puffs, Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta Recipe, Vegan Maple Pumpkin Overnight Oats, Vegan Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, Apple Cranberry Crisp, Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta Recipe, Butternut Squash Pancakes, 20-minute Pumpkin Soup, Air fryer Cinnamon Rolls, Delicious Dairy-Free Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe, Pumpkin Spice Fudge, Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting, Autumn Salad, Apple Cinnamon Waffles, Autumn Pizza with Vegan Gouda Cheese, Pumpkin Spice Fudge, Delicious Dairy-Free Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe, Vegan Butternut Squash Curry with Chickpeas, Teriyaki Tofu-Tempeh Casserole, Butternut Squash White Bean Kale Stew, and Vegan Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Sauce, and Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie CasseroleThey are completely plant-based and ideal for your vegan meal, and some of these recipes are perfect for thanksgiving day, and on winter season. Enjoy!
After trying this healthy version of lasagna, I become addicted to it. I used to make them every week. Because it’s not just healthy but is also delicious that even store-bought can compare with the deliciousness.
So why not give them a try? Pin this recipe and start making this! Don’t forget to share with us your experience!
A healthy version of Lasagna
Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna
- 2-3 cups butternut squash puree
- 1 cup ricotta cheese vegan
- ½ cup almond milk any plant-based milk will work, add more if needed
- kosher salt season to taste
- ¼ tsp nutmeg ground
- 8 oz spinach cooked
- 1 cup ricotta cheese vegan
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese vegan
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Other plant-based ingredients:
- 10 oz lasagna noodles vegan, cooked, see note
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese dairy-free
- ½ cup parmesan cheese dairy-free
- Italian seasoning season to taste
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- Basil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease the casserole dish.
Puree the butternut squash:
- In a blender, puree the butternut squash then combine the vegan ricotta cheese, almond milk, kosher salt, and nutmeg until creamy.
- In a mixing bowl, toss to combine the spinach, mozzarella, ricotta cheese, and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper. Adjust to taste if needed.
Preparing Lasagna noodles:
- Cook and boil the lasagna noodles base on the packaging instructions. Set them aside.
Let us assemble!
- Over a prepared greased casserole, spread the butternut squash filling then topped with mozzarella cheese, and layered with cooked lasagna noodles.
- On top of the cooked lasagna noodles, spread the spinach mixture and topped it with mozzarella cheese, then layered again with cooked lasagna noodles.
- Spread again the butternut filling topped with mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients.
- For the finishing toppings, cover with cooked lasagna noodles and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, season with Italian season, paprika, and basil.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
For More Vegan Recipes
The vegan recipes I’ve suggested below are all vegan and made entirely of plant-based ingredients. They are also an excellent addition to any vegan meal. Non-vegetarians will enjoy these as well!
- Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
- Smooth Coconut Lentil Curry
- Hearty Chickpea Veggie Stew Recipe
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Crispy Potato Vegan Cheese Sticks
To Wrap It All Up
The health benefits of butternut squash and spinach are numerous. They both provide key nutrients that our bodies need to function properly. This lasagna is a great way to get those nutrients into your diet, and also an enjoying and delicious meal. If you’re looking for a healthy version of one of your favorite dishes, this recipe is definitely worth trying!
Connect With Us
If you tried this healthy version of butternut squash and spinach lasagna, take a ? and tag us on our social media: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram, and subscribed to our YouTube Channel. I’d be delighted to see it!
To make sure you don’t miss any recipes, remember to subscribe to our email newsletter which will be delivered to your inbox every week. ?